Thursday, October 8, 2009

"Good" Typography

Date: October 7th, 2009
Time: 7:00
Location: My dorm room

I've had this poster for more than a year, and I've always been impressed by the Godfather logo. However, I can appreciate it a lot more now. The font (called "Corleone," appropriately) is very unique. It has a very tall x-height, paper-thin serifs, and huge brackets. The long pointy beaks and barbs on the font also give it a Benguiat-esqe gothic feel.

What makes me really love it, though, are the little adjustments: the "T" and "h" are welded together, the bottom of the "e" curves up to rest against the "r," the "G" extends to meet the "d" and give "The" a solid resting place, and the "th" in "Godfather" ramp up towards the hand. I also enjoy how the text and image interact.

No comments:

Post a Comment